In light of the current global health situation due to COVID-19, many folks have expressed concerns regarding events, socials etc. Our updated (as of June 21, 2020) response at ASPECC is as follows:
ASPECC events are well under the gathering limit recommended, and we already take extraordinary measures in regards to hygiene and sanitation. Prior to this outbreak we have and will continue to:
- Use medical grade cleaner on all surfaces and items that are at risk for exposure to body fluids.
- Provide barriers for individuals to use here or elsewhere to prevent the sharing of body fluids.
- Use Disinfectant on all shared surfaces when cleaning.
- Have separate receptacles for plastics, used gloves etc that may have been exposed to body fluids.
In response to the current health concerns we have added:
- Hand sanitizer to the front desk, to be used by all individuals entering/leaving the space (hand washing is an encouraged alternative), and hand sanitizing station at the smoking door.
- Daily Disinfectant of all door knobs, faucets, desk surfaces, phones, keyboards, table tops
- Hand Washing Instruction posters up in applicable areas
- We are requiring that folks who have symptoms, share space with someone with symptoms to stay home.
- We are requiring that folks who have recently returned from out of country stay home.
- We are NOT HOSTING youth events or senior events until further notice, to ensure that the most vulnerable folks are not being put at risk.
- We are limiting the number of folks who can be in the centre at any one time. This does mean that some events are being rescheduled. Check the calendars for more specific information.
- We will also be hosting several online workshops and support groups in lieu of the in house ones.
- Online attendance will be permitted for folks who prefer this, to most events.
- Folks attending will be scanned for temperature, sign a waiver stating they are not experiencing symptoms and have to have AB Trace Together active on their phone. NO EXCEPTIONS.
To Our Beloved Community Members:
We know this is a challenging time. Many of us struggle with social isolation as it is, or carry financial burdens in our day to day worlds. Even though things have to temporarily change in the manner that we support you, we are HERE for you. We are taking turns monitoring our discord channel (for an invite message firstname.lastname@example.org) AND we are holding a series of online sex positive support meetings. Please check the calendar and our social media for updates!
For Folks asking how this will impact us financially… Thank you, and yes, it is challenging.
This is going to place additional burdens on the organization, when we are already struggling to remain open. If you can afford to help, please do. There are many ways you can support us, from buying gift cards for your grocery shopping through our fundscrip, to donating cash. We are always in need of financial donations. Please check out our support page HERE.
Please stay tuned for details or email email@example.com to be added to the Self Isolation Support list to receive updates as to online resources. These measures will be updated in response to community need and information from Alberta Health, the CDC and the WHO. If you have any questions or concerns please reach out to us!